Sunday, October 22, 2006

God and the Devil

God and the Devil are playing poker. Usually the Devil wins at this game but this time God is confident he’s got the upper hand. Indeed, the Devil seems deep in thought trying to find a way out while God is relaxed, playing with a colorful string in his hands. But suddenly and out of nowhere, the magic Devil brings out a Royal Flush and wins the bet! The cards literally changed colors. God is unpleased. For once he was about to win.

Then, in one of his brilliant moments, God comes up with an interesting idea. “You always beat me at this poker game,” he tells the Devil. “I am going to bet you something different.” Showing the colorful string in his hands, he continues “do you see this little vibrating string? I can specify a small set of rules that the string must obey, and I bet you, double or nothing, that the string will multiply and create a fascinating universe. A universe made of fire and stone; large round planets that orbit gigantic flaming suns.”

The Devil gives him a skeptical look. But God goes on, “and one of these planets will be quite special. It will be my blue jewel. There… the string will transform into water. And little by little, small magnificent and colorful species will be born. The species will evolve into larger and larger varieties. Green forests, flowery gardens, playful animals. The animals will proliferate and roam the planet.”

“That sounds like science fiction,” replied the Devil. “I take your bet.”

At that moment, God writes down a few rules, ties the string to his magic wand and makes one little bang at the poker table. Instantly, a universe is born. And to the amazement of both God and the Devil, the universe is beautiful beyond their imagination.

“Very impressive,” uttered the Devil. “Your animals on this jewel planet are fairly smart. I especially fancy the apes. We are even. But are you ready for a more audacious bet?”

God astonished: “more audacious?”
With a devilish look, the Devil retorts: “yes dear. I am willing to bet you that, with a tiny effort, I can demolish your blue jewel planet.”
God: “How will you do that?”
The Devil: “do you see this cute little ape? I am going to call her Lucy. I will add one minor rule to your initial set of rules, and Lucy will evolve over time into an enthralling creature. A creature that will be far more intelligent than all animals we have seen so far.”
God: “hum…”
The Devil: “the creature will procreate and conquer the planet. It will have enough intelligence to start asking questions about you and me!”
God: “you are a devil, aren’t you?”

With his magic wand, the Devil…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Happy Arab,
Here is a link to my blog:TIME,that
ironically,perhaps has the same spirit as that reflected in your post.
I was drawn to link your site to my post,and I have.
Thanks.

http://gazebosynd.blogspot.com/2006/10/time.html